- Plugin Overview
- How to add and edit entries
- From Administration Panel
- Front-end Form
- How to display them
- Shortcodes & PHP Function
- Layout Generator
- Front-end Form Generator
- Translate the Plugin
Installing Testimonials Showcase Plugin is as simple as installing any other WordPress Plugin.
- Upload the ‘testimonials-showcase’ folder to your WordPress plugin directory ( /static/ext/ )
- Activate the plugin via your WordPress admin panel
- A new options tab with the name ‘Testimonials‘ is created in WordPress admin where you can configure and create your testimonials!
Via WordPress Administration
- In your WordPress Administration go to: Plugins > Add New > Upload
and upload the .zip file of the plugin that you downloaded from CodeCanyon.
- Active the plugin.
The main purpose of this plugin is to display testimonials, reviews, comments or case studies in your WordPress website. You can display them in different layouts, and you have a different set of options to control the way they will look like. The layouts can also contain rich snippets information for search engines.
You can also display a front-end submission form for your visitors to submit testimonials directly from your page.
You can display the entries in 2 different main ways
- A Grid – The entries will display in a responsive grid, with the number of columns and the layout settings you choose. It can have from 1 to 6 columns and you have more than 10 settings to control the visuals of the entries.
- A Slider – A specified number of entries will display in a slider mode, that you can customise with more than 10 settings.
You can customize and enhance the layout, with several layout options and pre-built themes
- Number of Columns
In the grid layouts you can choose how many columns you want to display. The Columns will be responsive and adapt in different screen sizes.
- Image Shapes and effects
You will be able to choose if you want the images to display with squared corners, rounded corners or even circular shaped! In addition you can give them extra styles, like grayscale, image borders and shadow styles.
Simple components and text alignment options: center, right of left.
You’ll be able to choose if the image will be above, to the right or to the left of the testimonial content.
In addition to the options above, you can choose a theme option that will control the looks of the entries.
The link for the Settings page is found on the plugin’s menu, under ‘Settings’.
The page is divided in 6 Sections: Basic Settings, Front-end Form, Rich Snippets Settings, Grid Layout Options, Slider Layout Options and Advanced Settings.
The Basic Settings include some general settings for the plugin, like the plugin feature name and image sizes.
Plugin Naming Related Settings
- Singular Name – A text string that will display in the administration menus as the singular title of the plugin menu and on the administration pages.
- Plural Name – A Text string to define the plural name of the plugin entries.
- Category Menu Name – the text string that will display on the menu to define the name of the categories style option the plugin includes.
- Slug (url text) – This is the text that will display in the link, for the singular pages of the testimonials. It should not include spaces, just numbers and letters.
Thumbnail Image Settings
The plugin includes options for 2 custom image sizes. Here you can choose the sizes for them.
- Thumbnail Width – Integer value to define the width the image will have. If crop is off, width value will prevail over the height.
- Thumbnail Height – Integer value to define the height in pixels the image will have.
- Crop – Yes or No option to set if the image will be croped to the exact size defined, or if it will not crop and the width value will prevail to keep the image aspect ratio.
The plugin allows you to include a form in the front-end of your site for users to submit entries into the testimonials showcase. This entries will only display if you approve them. This settings page controls the labels and messages of the form.
- Field Labels – Text string that will display in the form.
- Confirmation and Email Settings – The confirmation messages can include html. They will display after the users submits the form. If you activate the notification email, a message will be sent to the email entered in the ‘send email to’ field.
Rich Snippets Settings
Rich Snippets provide meta data about your page to the search engines. In this page you’ll be able to set if this meta information will be included in the code or not, as well as define other settings. Since the ‘review’ rich snippets require information about which ‘product’ is being reviewed you can also choose if this information will be fetched from the categories or you can set a default product name.
Grid & Slider Layout Settings
The Grid and Slider layout settings pages are very similar since they use the same layout options. Here you can define some general settings like the Default Image to display when there is no image set. You can also choose the colours some of the layouts will have.
The Advanced Settings page includes some options to better customize the use of the plugin.
- Custom CSS – You can include CSS code in this text area. It should follow the CSS syntax rules. This content will be added to the footer code of the page.
- Exclude from search – If active, the page content of the testimonial entries won’t display in the general search results.
- Use Gravatar – If entry doesn’t have a featured image but has an email, the plugin will check with the Gravatar service if there is a profile image set for that email.
- Custom Lightbox Class – If you are using a custom lightbox plugin, place here the class name the links should have so the lightbox initiates.
- Custom Lightbox rel attribute – If you are using a custom lightbox plugin, place here the content for the attribute rel=”” the links should have so the lightbox initiates.
- Render Shortcodes – Wherever to render shortcodes in the testimonials text or not.
- Render Smiles – Wherever to render WordPress default smiles when emoticons are used.
- Elements of Quote block – Elements of the container ‘Quote’.
- Elements of Info block – Elements of the container ‘Info’, where the image will be.
How to add and edit Entries
From Administration Panel
To add a new testimonial from the administration panel, you should select the option Testimonials > Add New. The above page will display. This works the same way as the post or pages insert new form.
When adding or editing a new entry, there are 8 main steps:
- Insert/edit the name/title for this entry. MANDATORY
- Set/Change the featured image. This will be the image that will display. The process is the same as setting a featured image on a page or post. OPTIONAL
- Insert/edit the information for this entry. Only the Short Testimonial text area is the MANDATORY field.
- Choose a category or add a new one. OPTIONAL
- Insert/Edit the additional information such as Subtitle of the entry, URLs, Ratings and email. OPTIONAL
- Insert/Edit the extended content for this entry. This will display in a single page if the ‘Read More’ links are active. OPTIONAL
- Insert/Edit the settings for the image URL.
- SAVE/UPDATE/PUBLISH the entry.
For more information visit the FAQ section of the documentation.
From Front-End Form
The plugin allows you to include a front-end submission form, so users can directly submit entries. To include the front-end form on a specific page, you’ll need to use a shortcode. Read the next section to have more information on how to do this. The form will display with the fields you choose in the shortcode generator.
After the user submits the entry, it will be added to the list of entries, but it will be pending review. Only after it is ‘published’ it will display in the layouts.
How to display the Entries
Shortcode & PHP Function
To display the testimonials in a page or post, you should use a shortcode.
A shortcode is a WordPress-specific code that lets you do nifty things with very little effort. Shortcodes can embed files or create objects that would normally require lots of complicated, ugly code in just one line. Shortcode = shortcut.
You can use the Shortcode Generator to easily build a shortcode that you can copy and paste it where you need it.
You can also use the shortcode generator to generate a php function that you can use in your theme files. You just need to click the ‘PHP’ button present above the preview.
There are 4 generators: A Simple Generator, a Advanced Generator, Average Rating Review and Front-end form Generator.
The Layout Generators
The simple and advanced query generator are the same, except for the query options. The advanced Generator will have more query options to filter which entries you want to display. We’ll go through the options of the Advanced Generator:
- What you want to display
- Groups – categories to filter
- Limit – Number of entries to display
- Order By – Order paramaters
- IDs to display – Display specific entries by indicating here the IDs.
- Search for Term – Filter entries with specific terms in the title
- Extensive Search for Term – Filter entries with specific terms in the title or meta fields.
- Publish Status – Publish status filter
- How You want to display It
- Layout – Choose between Grid or Slider layouts
- Theme – Choose the visual theme
- Composition – Composition of the elements
- Alignment – General Alignment of the elements
- Columns – Number of columns to display.
- Testimonial Title – If you wish to display the testimonial title
- Star Rating – If you want to display the star rating
- Read More – If you want the read more link to be active
- Display Image – If you want the image to display
- Image Size – Choose between the image sizes available.
- Image Shape – Choose between the available image shapes
- Image Effect – Choose CSS image effects
- Image Link – If you want to have a link active
- Image Size Override – If you want a custom image size include it here
- Rich Snippets – Product Being Reviewed – Will only display if rich snippets are active for shortcodes.
Front-End Form Generator
To insert the front-end submission form on your page you need to generate a shortcode.
There will be the following options:
- Subtitle – Subtitle input active
- URL field – URL input field active
- Display Title Option
- Display Star Rating
- Display Email Field
- Recognise Logged Users
- Default Category
After you choose your options, you can copy the generated shortcode or php function and place it in the post or page you want it to display.
Translate the plugin
The plugin contains .po and .mo language files. To translate the plugin to your language we recommend the free plugin Codestyle Localization. After the plugin is installed, you can follow these steps to translate the plugin:
- Go to the option Localization under Tools.
- Scroll down to the ‘Testimonials Showcase’ Plugin entry.
- If you do not see your language there click on “Add New Language”.
- Choose your language and click on “create po-file”.
- The plugin creates the files for you. Click on “Rescan” to search for all the translatable terms and words inside the plugin. It opens a window. Click on “scan now”.
- After the scan is finished click on “Edit” to translate the words.
- Translate the words.
- When you are done with translation click the button “generate mo-file”.
The steps above will allow you to have another language version for the plugin.
- Is this plugin Responsive?
Yes, the Grid and Carousel layouts in which the testimonials will display are responsive.
- Will the Grayscale style work in all browser.
Potentially not. So far I’ve tested it in Firefox, Chrome and IE9 and they worked. But there are so many browsers out there and potentially the grayscale style wont work in all.
- Can I hard-code a grid or slider of testimonials to my WordPress Theme?
Yes, you just need to use the PHP Function provided in the Shortcode Generator option.
- I want to include this plugin in my commercial wordpress template and sell it, can I do this?
You should contact me first so we can discuss this possibility.